Design House Lighting
Lighting is a very important factor for us, and plays an essential role in the house lighting design of interiors and exteriors, as significantly influence the environment and our welfare state.
In the planning and design house lighting, or even a single room, lighting is an element that can not be neglected or left unattended. Lamps and lights are crucial for any space which exert its full effect.
If we play with the light of our rooms we can get almost magical effects that will make highlight every corner of our home making it a unique space. As the world of lighting can be tricky to know what the subject, here are some house lighting ideas to make your home look more alive.
Design House Lighting
When designing the lighting for a new room added to the home or remodel existing in one of the existing rooms, you must first make a good background. Keep in mind that the lamps not only illuminate the room in general, they also have other functions such as:
- Give clear visibility to areas of activities. Such as reading, preparing food, performing manual tasks etc., and these activities are made easier and more enjoyable way when lighting is wide but not dazzling.
- They are decorative fixtures. Lamps can take an active part of the decoration of a room, such as a chandelier can give a special touch of beauty.
- Highlight some decorative objects. Putting special lighting or redirecting existing, you can emphasize works of art, such as paintings, decorative furniture etc. For outdoor house lights, they can give a special touch of beauty to your garden, or take a more cheerful or more dramatic look to your home.
- Illuminate the occasion. If you mount different lighting modes into a room, fed by dimmers in suitable combinations, can be achieved easily adjust the lighting according to the need of the hour.
- Provide security. Well-placed safety lamps help in walking through stairs and corridors, exterior lights frighten intruders.
- Save electricity. A well-planned lighting allows to use the most economical lamps and lighting only required of them according to the occasion.
Kitchen lighting Design
The kitchen is one of the parts of the house where people stay longer during the day, especially if it is a dining area. Good lighting will make it more cheerful and pleasant, increases visibility and safety for food preparation and highlights cabinets and other furniture design.
When you make your plan note that the glossy, such as ceramic slabs and gloss paints reflect light, surfaces this can be good, but a misplaced lamp may result in an annoying reflection that goes directly to their eyes. We used three types of lights with different objectives.
- Mood Lights: these lights are involved in local and general lighting give the impression of daylight. The lights near the ceiling or rails give a better distribution of hanging light. The windows overlook a great help in the daytime lighting. Use a dimmer lights environment can be a good idea, so lowering or raising the intensity of the lamps can achieve a better balance of lighting according to the occasion. Another way to get a very pleasant general lighting is to use indirect lighting, for example, by invisible lamps on cabinets.
- Work lights placed under cabinets or some other strategic location, illuminate the work area when preparing food, washing dishes or cooking. For these tasks it is always good to have good lighting, and in many cases, our body produces a certain amount of shade on the area of action if it only has general lighting.
- Lights local approach: they can be used recessed lights in the ceiling to illuminate sinks, hanging lamps for dining tables or lamps rail curved in a semicircle for cabinets. All are used with the aim of providing a generous lighting to these areas.
Bathroom lighting design
A bath medium size requires at least one light environment center provided an exhaust fan, a lamp waterproof ground on the shower or tub and some sconces on, or, sink.
- Ambient lights: this lighting is typically provided by a ceiling lamp short profile, which may also have an exhaust fan to ventilate the bathroom. The extractor can not be required in the area where you live if the home has a window, if no window is almost mandatory installation of this device. Make sure the exhaust capacity is adequate for the volume of the room. It’s a good idea to keep a pilot lamp which plug into sockets to maintain with some soft lighting bath with it, often not necessary to use turn the main lights, especially when you are sleeping and rises to the bathroom any need, at that time the eyes accustomed to the darkness, they need very little light to see. In cold temperatures it may be a good idea to install a fireplace or a heating lamp near the shower to warm up as it dries.
- Applets: when lighting fixtures are placed on the mirrors have to be very careful. A long lamp base with several bulbs provide good lighting, but much can shine in their eyes. The lamps on the sides of the mirror are very well positioned, allow you to shave and makeup without receiving gloss. Fluorescent lamps with diffuser cover can be very good, do not give heat, but if not they may choose to change the color tone, which is undesirable in makeup. Fortunately there is market compact fluorescent lamps of different colors of light.
- Shower light fixture: although not in use, it is not of more to reinforce the light entering the shower, or the bathtub, through curtains or glass door, so include it in the draft is not a bad idea. You must use a waterproof lamp ground due to the high possibility that it may get wet.
Living Room Lighting Design
The living rooms, dining rooms, and the bedrooms, if work lights are used in addition to the ambient lights. Instead of installing a single lighting system always consider using a system that includes a total effect on the room. With the use of various types of lamps the most comfortable and welcoming place, the goal is flexibility, so that you can set different atmospheres using one and the other of the lights either attenuated or no general rules that can guide are:
- Highlight a piece of art or furniture and a wall whose texture you want to emphasize with more spot lights, this will make the room warm and interesting.
- Put at least one of the lights on a dimmer and install several optional lights, but not entirely necessary; They will be usable but not have to light unless the occasion demands. Do not hesitate to install many lights, but not the use will be there to do it at some point, if not installed then you will not have that possibility.
- Install the intermediate false ceiling LED lights, hanging lamps to illuminate as dining tables, floor lamps; these also give some mood lighting.
- Cabinets and closets for dishes and similar objects benefit using small lamps, fluorescent better, to highlight inside glasses and porcelain. This effect is particularly interesting if the panels are made of glass.
- If there is any place of “work” in the living area, such as a piano, you should put accent lamp that illuminates the score, this will give sobriety to the execution with the house lights dimmed.
Considerations to take into account other interior areas
It must provide the dedicated areas to work or study, a strong light, no clutch rooms dedicated to entertainment does not require the same amount of light, some general rules can be:
- Kitchens and dining areas: A hanging lamp good brightness is appropriate for breakfast nooks or any other casual dining area, but the formal table, used for food, should have an indirect and subtle lighting. Put recessed lights mounted on rails and away from the table. You can put a pendant lamp chandeliers provided that dazzle the eyes of those who eat.
- Corridors and stairways: The corridors and stairways require good lighting to prevent people from falling. They will be lights necessary at the beginning and end of a ladder. A lamp each 3.5 m in a corridor may be sufficient. Wall sconces may be appropriate for these areas.
- Areas of study: It is not appropriate simply a reading lamp, you tend to shine too the pages of books. In addition to other types of lighting as a ceiling lamp or other ambient light.
- Workrooms and recreation areas: Start giving light from the ceiling and good lighting is distributed throughout the area, then add no flashing lights on the areas of work, and flexible work areas specific lights.
Outside Security Lights
If you live in a detached house with garden, outdoor lighting may be the main weapon of defense against intruders and can be more effective than heavy locks or alarms.
Here are some rules for landscape lighting design:
- Keep lighted areas so that no dark areas, ideally two or more lights should target those places where an intruder can come.
- Install a lamp on each side of the door or at the entrance. Check them with motion sensors or timers.
- Install reflectors under the eaves at the corners of the house, especially pointing the driveway to the house, in addition to intimidate intruders, will serve for good visibility when you get home at night.
- Put poles with lamps in the entrance ways to public lighting if not reached.
- Place the main lighting lamps high enough so that they are not easily disabled by an intruder, a good height but can be 2.3 m 2.7 would be better.
- If you feel safe you can add lowlights to light the way. To avoid being easily deactivated is better to use two systems, one of the standard electricity lights governed by a motion sensor and a low voltage to work through a timer or photoelectric cell.
- Install bright lights inside that illuminate a large window or a glass door operated by a motion sensor. In addition to scare the intruder warn you of its presence. Arrange the motion sensor so that it can be activated by cats, dogs or other small animals.
Ceiling lighting fixtures to Transform your Interior!
The ceiling lighting fixtures are manufactured in countless designs, but generally can be divided into 4 groups:
- Hanging ceiling lamps or pendant light fixtures. Which it is intended to catch sight of the visitor and are generally well decorative luminaires.
- Short profile lamps. They are modest-looking and responsible for giving general lighting.
- Lamps mounted on rails. These generally give a directed lighting.
- Recessed lights in the ceiling.
Hanging ceiling lamps
The hanging ceiling lamps in turn can be of three main types:
- Which are shaped like a lantern or flashlight and reminiscent of old lanterns that served as protection for candles.
- The screen, which can focus the light in a particular space, such as a table or work area and provide indirect lighting.
- Lamps and chandeliers, reminiscent of antique chandeliers where several candles forming a more or less wide circle were placed.
Hanging lantern lights
Using hanging lantern lights or lamp type flashlight in narrow spaces such as lobbies and high stairs where a lamp near the ceiling does not look good and enlightening. The minimum height to which should be a flashlight floor is 2.2 meters, so that people can walk underneath. Put the hanging lantern lights in the center of the narrow direction of the place. If you have a large window near, position it so it looks centered from the outside. The design can be very variable, may have different colors and more than a light bulb, the same socket as standard socket reduced.
Display lighting fixtures
Use display lamp when you want to focus the light in a particular space, such as a small table, counter, or an area close working. If the screen is translucent, such as glass or plastic, they further give a good indirect lighting. The metal screen focus more light into an area. They can be hung in two ways, through a chain bronze or simulating bronze, with transparent braided cable between the links, or using a long, thin tubular member having the cord inside. The screen upward are excellent for a non-glare diffuse illumination and may have an important decorative effect as they are relatively low height. Its main drawback is that collect a lot of dirt on the inside, but they are easy to clean.
The hanging chandeliers, usually has 5 or more bulbs. Look for a model that is easy to clean, complex models hold dust in difficult places. The size of hanging chandelier is very important. If you choose one that is going to get on a dining table, select hanging chandelier so that it is about 30 cm narrower than the table. If it is too large, the heads of the people faced with the lamp stand near it. A hall look good with one of these lamps if she is 5 cm in diameter per 30 cm of width of the room. Hang it at the correct height The most common mistake is hanging too low, a good measure is about 80 cm on the surface of a table. The chandeliers usually do not illuminate a large room well, because it is normal that hang near the height of eyes and produce a nasty glare if given to brighten up the whole room glow.
Short profile lamps
A short profile lamp placed in the center of the ceiling is the most common way to illuminate a room, one can produce enough light to illuminate a room 4 x 4 m if the ceiling is 2.6 m high, or fourth 5 x 5 m if it is at a height of 3 m. They cover the ceiling and illuminate consistently. In this they can be used with fluorescent lamps that consume little electricity and last a long time. Some styles of these lamps, although there are many and varied. As are high, never dazzle people on the premises. When round fluorescent tubes are used, the lamp may be very short in height, the person who visits the room is not aware of its presence but the room is well-lit. This type of lamps allows direct one or more of their spotlight on certain place and at an angle, in order to illuminate any area of interest of the walls, pictures, posters etc. They can be practical when for some reason the lamp may not be in the center of the room since the light can be directed to convenience. They are not aesthetically appropriate for the use of fluorescent lamps, they can extend forwards beyond the focus, unless very short length bulbs are used, they generally provide poor lighting. Typically, they are used with incandescent lamps and halogen lamps even better. They are of different size and number of foci, but the diameter of these should correspond to the size of the room.
Rail lights, which can move along a track, can combine general lighting and pointed to an area of the premises. There are many designs in the shape of the track. When choosing one of these lamps make sure the bulb you want to use works for you, there are low voltage and standard electrical 120 v whose bulbs are clearly not interchangeable. To mount the rail with lights, it is more appropriate generally do it near a wall of the room in the middle of it, and the beam out of the light bulb can be extended to more and better overall illumination. Another advantage when placed near the walls is light even more concentrated for the short distance, serves to focus and accentuate a decorative object of interest, for example, a picture that is on the wall nearby.
Recessed light fixtures
This type of lighting has a tubular shape with background as a can, with the socket for light bulb inside and mounted recessed in the ceiling and directed vertically. After assembled, protrudes just outside the decorative ring false. They use wide beam reflector bulbs and cover a larger circle of light as we move away from them. It is generally mounted to a distance of 2 m from each other, but if your ceiling has the exact measurements for this distribution will adjust the distance. They can be of different types according to the voltage, size and type of the bulb, and lighting design. The most common direct the light beam downwards, but there is a mounting mechanism that allows mobile ball-type light guide at an angle. They are versatile, and so are used for general lighting, to emphasize some areas of the room, especially the steerable. It is very common to connect to an attenuator to change the intensity of the light they produce.
How to choose light bulbs
The color of the light bulb standing on lamps affects the mood of the local and can modify the color tone of things inside. The lights yellowish or reddish hue are considered “warm”, while the “cold” bluish. Incandescent bulbs produce a warm light while many give a cold fluorescent lighting. You should choose the color of the light of their lamps according to the interior that will illuminate, for example if the walls are white, the warm lights give one beige tone. Cold lights give a greenish tint to the natural brownish wood. Fortunately, whatever your lamp style in the market there is the possibility of swapping from one to another type of light bulbs or tubes buying new.
Types of bulbs
The bulbs are made today of various types according to the operation, the type of light they provide and in terms which are mounted socket. The main types are:
- Incandescent lamps: The incandescent lamps, they are very inexpensive and have been used as the most common, but now are losing ground to the compact fluorescent lamps. They have a comparatively short life and are inefficient in energy consumed ratio versus the amount of illumination provided.
- Compact fluorescent lamps: They are mounted in a separate standard incandescent socket, but are much more energy efficient and more durable than those. You can choose from different styles and forms, as well as the degree of “warmth” of its light.
- Reflector lamps: They can be narrow beam and wide beam and used accordingly to produce a concentrated light in a narrow area or a wider area.
- Arc lamps: The arc lamps are quite efficient and durable, may be sodium, metal halides and vapor mercury among others. Each with a typical light color. They produce a very bright light and are suitable to outdoor house lights. Some types strongly change the color tone of things.
- LED bulbs: LED light bulbs have become a reality each day recently and are further improved. Its energy efficiency is very high, equal to or better than fluorescent lamps and life is very long.